Cowgirl (Kindergarten) teaches the ten commandments:
The ten commandments are ten rules that God made. He wrote them down on stone tablets. We can read the ten commandments in the Bible. I learned a finger trick from my mom and dad. It helps me understand the ten commandments. You can see the trick in the picture.
- Hold up 1 finger. This means that God comes first. So the first commandment is “You shall have no other gods before Me.”
- Hold up 2 fingers. Two gods is too many gods! If you have two gods, one of them must be an idol. So the second commandment is “Do not worship idols.”
- Hold up 3 fingers. It looks like a “W.” W is for “Watch your words.” God’s name is holy, and we should only use it when we are talking to Him, or about Him. Never in a bad or silly way. So the third commandment is “Do not take the Lord’s name in vain.”
- Hold up 4 fingers. What is the thumb doing? He’s resting! So the fourth commandment, to “Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.”
- Hold up 5 fingers. It looks like I’m making a promise. So the fifth commandment is “Honor your parents.”
- Hold up 6 fingers. It looks like the finger is shooting the hand. So the sixth commandment is, “Do not murder.”
- Hold 7 fingers.The fingers look like people getting married. When people get married, they make promises.So the 7th commandment is, “Do not commit adultery.”
- Hold up 8 fingers. It looks like bars to a jail cell. So the 8th commandment is, “Do not steal.”
- Hold up 9 fingers. It looks like the thumb is telling lies about the fingers on the other hand. So the ninth commandment is, “Do not bear false witness.”
- Hold up 10 fingers and wiggle them. It looks like I’m coveting. That means you are saying, “Give me that! Give me this!” So the 10th commandment is, “Do not covet.”
Another Idea from Michelle (Cowgirl’s Mom):
Here is also a fun and catchy song by Mercy Me called “Ten Simple Rules,” from their newest CD, 10. Iron Man got me the CD for my birthday, and this song is our favorite. The kids and I like to make the hand movements while we sing along.embedded by Embedded Video
Have fun learning the ten commandments! Be sure to let me know if it works out for you.